Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

100 days of happiness

Happy almost April everyone! 

Hard to believe we are almost into the 4th month of 2014, time is flying! A year that, for me, started with feelings of frustration and anger. Medications not working, not being able to really move or focus, my doctors not having any answers, not being able to drive, etc. It can be so hard when living with chronic illnesses/pain to see only the happiness and joy around us. We live in a world where pain (physical and emotional) is always present and it is a constant drain on not only our bodies, but on our psyche. We have our "good days and bad days (sometimes weeks)" since we live in a body whose health can change directions faster than a street racer. Thats why it's so easy for us to get stuck in a rut with no way to get out of the sadness and anger we sometimes feel.

And then on Instagram I began to see my fellow spoonies taking the 100 days of happiness challenge. Something that is most definitely not easy for a healthy person to do, let alone a spoonie. As I watched a few of my friends begin, it dawned on me how truly brilliant this idea was. You could be having one of your worst days and yet be happy, curled up on the couch having a cup of tea watching one of your favorite movies (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, thank you very much). Does it take away the pain, no. But instead of focusing on the pain, you focus on being happy with what's helping you get through the day. 

So, after talking with a friend on twitter who helped lift my mood, I have decided to take the 100 days of happiness challenge starting tomorrow! Everyday, I will try not to focus on the negative, but on the positive! Something that has made me happy each day. Will I still be in pain and having stomach flare ups, of course. It's what my body does and will always do. But, I'm choosing to not let it ruin my happiness...

Who's with me?    

No comments:

Post a Comment